This easy-to-make and healthy main dish offers an enticing mix of colors, flavors and textures. The applesauce lends a natural subtle sweetness and rich flavor to the Caribbean inspired sauce. A dish the whole family will enjoy!
- 1 cup salsa or picante sauce (mild or medium heat)
- 2/3 cup Our Family Garden Unsweetened Applesauce
- 2 teaspoons Jamaican jerk seasoning blend
- 2 cups chicken (shredded or chopped)
- 3/4 cup green cabbage (finely shredded)
- 1/2 cup carrots (shredded)
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper (matchstick-cut)
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro (chopped)
- 2 teaspoons light tasting olive oil (or vegetable oil of choice)
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon Jamaican jerk seasoning blend
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 8 large Boston lettuce leaves
- 1/2 cup roasted, salted cashews (chopped)
Place salsa, applesauce and jerk seasoning in medium saucepan; mix well. Over low heat, bring to a simmer. Cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Stir in chicken; cover and simmer 5 minutes.
Combine slaw ingredients in medium bowl; mix well.
To assemble wraps, place chicken down the center of each lettuce leaf, dividing equally. Top each with slaw. Sprinkle with cashews. Wrap or fold (taco style) as desired.
You can also place the filled lettuce into corn taco shells.