This cornbread is moist and fluffy. A hint of vanilla and cinnamon make it the perfect breakfast accompaniment, or goes impeccably with a sausage or turkey dinner entrée.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil (used to brush skillet)
- 1 package (7 ounce) cornbread and muffin mix
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1/2 cup Our Family Garden Unsweetened Applesauce
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 3 tablespoons butter (melted)
- 8 thin apple slices
PREHEAT OVEN TO 400° F
Brush oil in a cast iron eight-section cornbread skillet (or substitute with a 10” cast iron skillet). Place skillet in oven while you prepare the cornbread.
In a medium bowl, place cornbread mix, sugar, salt, cinnamon, and vanilla and mix to combine. Add pumpkin, applesauce, eggs and melted butter. Mix just until combined (do not over-mix).
Remove skillet from oven and fill each section almost to the top of the hot oiled cast iron skillet with the cornbread batter.
Bake at 400°F for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle of the cornbread wedge comes out clean. Cool slightly.
Insert a slice of apple into each wedge of cornbread.