- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 6 tablespoons water (lukewarm)
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons vegan buttery spread (softened at room temperature)
- 9 tablespoons Our Family Garden, Touch of Honey Applesauce
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 medium ripe bananas (peeled and mashed)
- 1/3 cup vegan semi-sweet mini chocolate chips
Line 12 cup nonstick muffin pan with paper liners; lightly mist paper liners with canola oil nonstick spray.
Place flaxseed meal and water in small bowl; stir to combine. Allow to sit for 10 minutes.
In medium bowl, whisk flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt until combined.
In large bowl, combine vegan buttery spread, applesauce and coconut sugar until smooth (buttery spread will separate into tiny shreds). Stir in flaxseed meal mixture and vanilla. Stir in flour mixture until combined.
Stir in banana and chocolate chips. Use spring-loaded cookie scoop to fill paper liners until almost full. Place pan on middle oven rack; bake for 22-26 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Allow muffins to cool to room temperature before removing from pan.
Muffins can be stored in airtight container at room temperature for 2 days, or individually-wrapped in plastic wrap and stored in freezer bag in freezer for up to 2 months.