- 1/2 cup butter (softened)
- 1/2 cup Our Family Garden Unsweetened Applesauce (room temperature)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup baby spinach leaves (finely sliced)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups roasted chicken (diced)
Stir butter in a mixing bowl. Mix in applesauce, salt, spinach, eggs, pepper, and flour. Stir until thoroughly combined.
Heat chicken broth to a simmer in a large pot. Using a metal teaspoon, dip bowl of spoon into boiling broth and then take a spoon of batter to form a dumpling.
Drop the dumpling in broth and dip spoon again in hot broth to keep batter from sticking.
Repeat until all dumplings are formed.
Cook 2 minutes more or until dumplings float and are cooked through. Stir in chopped chicken and serve hot.
Applesauce and crusty bread make nice side dishes for this soup.