- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 spanish onion (coarsely chopped)
- 1 pound ground chicken breast
- 1-1/2 cups Our Family Garden, Touch of Honey Applesauce
- 6 ounces tomato paste (salt free)
- 1 can salt free stewed tomatoes (14.5 oz)
- 3/4 cup carrots (shredded)
- 1/2 cup celery (sliced)
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar (5%)
- 8 Bibb lettuce leaves (or Boston)
- 1 English cucumber (spiralized or shredded and cut into bite sized pieces)
- 1/2 Granny Smith apple (sliced matchstick style, or shredded)
- 1/4 cup scallion (chopped)
- 1/4 Greek Yogurt (low fat, plain)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large sauté pan on medium high heat. Add onion, cook for about 5 minutes or until onion is softened. Add chicken. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally until chicken is no longer pink and cooked through –about 10 minutes.
Add applesauce, tomato paste, tomatoes, carrots, celery, garlic, chili powder, salt, pepper and vinegar. Stir to combine all ingredients. Reduce heat to low. Allow to simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until ingredients are well combined and heated through.
Place cucumber, apple pieces, and onions in a small bowl with yogurt. Toss to combine ingredients. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Spoon sloppy joe mixture evenly over lettuce leaves. Top evenly with cucumber mixture.