- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup Our Family Garden, Unsweetened Applesauce
- 1/3 cup hot pepper jelly
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar (5%)
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse ground pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Stir the ketchup, water, applesauce, jelly, vinegar, sugars, salt, cumin, paprika, onion powder, mustard powder, Worcestershire sauce, and lemon juice in a medium saucepan until combined. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat to low. Simmer, uncovered, until slightly thickened, about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile prepare the meatball recipe below.
- 6 slices thick-cut Applewood smoked Bacon (cut into 1/2 inch pieces)
- 1-1/2 pounds ground turkey
- 1/2 medium onion (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh Italian Parsley (chopped)
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 12 potato slider buns
Place the bacon in a large skillet and cook over medium heat until crisp, about 8 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Reserve 2 tablespoons bacon fat in the skillet.
Add the ground turkey, bacon, onion, breadcrumbs, Parmesan, egg, parsley, salt, and pepper to a large bowl. Mix to combine. Divide the meat into twelve 3-ounce portions and roll into balls.
Heat the reserve bacon fat in the skillet over medium heat. Cook the meatballs, in batches, until browned on all sides, about 8 minutes. The meatballs will be slightly undercooked.
Combine and Serve
Pour the barbecue sauce over the meatballs and simmer until the sauce is reduced and the meatballs are cooked through, about 10 minutes.
Split the potato rolls and place a meatball on each bottom. Spoon sauce over each meatball, cover with the bun lids and serve.