- 8 large medjool dates (pitted and halved lengthwise)
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 6 tablespoons vegan buttery spread (melted)
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar (packed)
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons Our Family Garden, Touch of Honey Applesauce
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (10 ounce) vegan semi-sweet chocolate chunks
Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
Place dates in mini food processor or blender; add boiling water. Cover and pulse chop to make a date paste (small bits of dates will be visible in the paste).
Add date paste to large bowl with melted buttery spread, light brown sugar, applesauce and vanilla. Stir to combine.
In separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. Add to wet mixture; stir to combine. Stir in chocolate chunks.
Use spring-loaded cookie scoop to scoop heaping tablespoonsful of dough, one inch apart, onto prepared cookie sheets. Bake one cookie sheet at a time, on middle oven rack, for 14-18 minutes or until cookies have a slightly cracked texture and are just beginning to brown.
After 5 minutes, transfer cookies to wire rack to continue cooling.
Cookies can be stored in airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days; or frozen for up to 2 months (if freezing, defrost cookies at room temperature).