- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup Our Family Garden, Touch of Honey Applesauce
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup diced apple (do not peel if apple is organically grown)
Spread 1 tablespoon of canola oil over bottom and sides of a 10-inch cast iron skillet; place skillet in oven.
In medium bowl, whisk flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt until blended; set aside.
In another bowl, whisk buttermilk, applesauce, egg and remaining 1 tablespoon of oil; blend well.
Pour wet ingredients into dry, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Stir in apples.
Carefully pour batter into preheated pan smoothing the top. Bake at 400° F for 20 to 25 minutes or until edges pull away from sides of pan.
Serve warm with additional applesauce and butter, if desired.