This is an amazing sweet/smoky, thickly rich BBQ sauce! This is great on any type food! Chicken, burgers, pork, turkey and makes a splendid addition into pork and beans! We love it on grilled ham & Swiss sandwiches too.
- 1-1/2 cups Our Family Garden, Cinnamon Applesauce
- 1 can (6 ounce) tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar (5%)
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar (packed)
- 1 cup fresh yellow onion (diced)
- 3 tablespoons fresh garlic (minced)
- 1/2 cup jalapeno peppers (seeded & veined, then diced)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 1/2 teaspoon hot Mexican chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Put all ingredients into a medium non-stick dutch oven or large pot.
Stir together, cover and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
Lower the heat so the mixture simmers for 20 minutes.
Remove the pot from the heat, puree the mixture in a blender or food processor until smooth.
Ready to use! Store any unused sauce in the refrigerator. Good for up to 2 weeks.