- 1 box Spice cake mix
- 1 cup Our Family Garden, Unsweetened Applesauce
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup nuts – pecans, walnuts, or sliced almonds (optional, finely chopped)
Icing and Coating
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 2 ounces cream cheese (room temperature)
- 2 tablespoons Our Family Garden, Unsweetened Applesauce
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 16 ounces white chocolate candy melts (or white chocolate bark)
- 1 cup nuts – pecans, walnuts, or sliced almonds (optional, finely chopped)
Coat a 9×13 inch baking pan with non-stick spray.
In a large mixing bowl or a stand mixer, combine cake mix, applesauce, oil, eggs, and nuts (if using). Mix on medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour into pan and bake for 30-35 minutes or until done in center. Let cool.
In a large bowl or stand mixer, beat together butter and cream cheese until smooth. Add apple sauce and powdered sugar, beating on low speed until combined. Add cooled cake to icing, crumbling cake into small pieces as you go.
Using the mixer on low (or hands), mix until the cake and icing forms a dense, dough-like texture. Using a heaping tablespoon, scoop dough into balls and roll in hands until smooth. Makes approximately 30 truffles. Chill cake balls in refrigerator or freezer until firm, approximately 15-30 minutes.
Melt white chocolate according to package directions in a microwave safe bowl. Place finely chopped nuts in a separate bowl, if using. Using a fork, roll each ball carefully in the white chocolate, tapping off excess chocolate.
Roll in nuts (if desired), and place on a piece of wax paper for shell to harden. Repeat for all truffles. Store in airtight container at room temperature for 2 days or in refrigerator for up to a week. Also freeze well.