Unsweetened applesauce, oats, fresh spinach and extra-lean ground chicken bring a healthful layer of goodness to these appealing sliders. The brightness of lemon zest, minced basil, and crunchy fresh apples lend a big taste to a little burger!
To prepare sliders. Transfer slider mixture into an 8” x 11” baking pan and use the back of a spoon to firmly press mixture evenly into pan. Bake until center of mixture reaches 165º, about 15 to 20 minutes (only edges will be browned.)
Shut oven off and remove pan to a cooling rack. Use a large spatula to score into 12 equal pieces, using a 3 by 4 grid. Layer cheese slices over and set pan back in oven just until cheese melts.
Quarter apples, remove cores and thinly slice. Split slider buns and coat inner tops and bottoms with about 1 teaspoon each of the Bun Sauce. Layer spinach leaves on bun bottoms and top with a few apple slices. Use a small spatula to lift cheese-covered burger sections onto apples and close top buns over.
- 1/2 cup Our Family Garden Unsweetened Applesauce
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon premium chicken bouillon paste
- 1/8 teaspoon coarse pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon jarred chopped garlic (mashed with a fork)
- 1 teaspoon onion (dried, minced)
- 2/3 cup quick cooking oats
- 1 pound ground chicken breast (all white meat)
Stir together applesauce, egg yolk, bouillon, pepper, garlic, onion and oats in a large bowl; let stand 5 minutes.
Gradually work in ground chicken until incorporated. Cover bowl tightly and refrigerate at least 1/2 hour to overnight.
- 1/4 cup Our Family Garden Unsweetened Applesauce
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon jarred chopped garlic (mashed with a fork)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest (grated)
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil leaves (minced)
Stir together applesauce, mayonnaise, garlic, lemon zest and basil; cover and refrigerate until serving time.
- 6 deli slices cheddar cheese
- 2 medium crisp red apple (such as honeycrisp)
- 1 package slider buns (12 count)
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach leaves