- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup Our Family Garden, Touch of Honey Applesauce
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/3 cup seed and ancient grain blend (see note)
1 tablespoon seed and ancient grain blend
Line a six-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, ginger, cinnamon and cardamom. Add the milk, egg, oil, applesauce, molasses and syrup stirring until well combined; stir in the grain mixture.
Evenly divide the batter between the cups, filling almost to the top. Sprinkle the remaining tablespoon of grains over each. Bake muffins in the oven for 20 minutes or until a cake tester or toothpick comes out clean.
*for testing I used Trader Joe’s Super Seed; Ancient Grain Blend which is a mixture of sprouted buckwheat, sprouted millet, chia seed, golden flax seed, quinoa, shelled hemp seed and amaranth.