“This soup is inspired from the flavors of one of my favorite salads, Celery, Apple, and Walnut with a creamy gorgonzola dressing! The lovely flavor of Our Family Garden Unsweetened Applesauce makes it easy to count on a consistent, ‘full’ apple flavor, that may otherwise vary, depending on the season and the apples available.”Ellen Verdugo
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (1/2 stick)
- 3 cups celery root (peeled and cubed)
- 1 small onion (diced)
- 1 medium leeks (sliced, after reserving a 6” section from white/light green portion)
- 1 cup Our Family Garden Unsweetened Applesauce
- 4 cups warm light, unsalted chicken broth (divided)
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons Gorgonzola cheese crumbles (divided)
- 1/4 cup lightly toasted walnuts
- 1/2 cup half & half (or light cream)
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Shaved red-skinned apple slices
In a dutch oven or heavy soup pot, warm butter over medium heat. Add celeriac, onion, and sliced leek and saute about 15 minutes until vegetables begin to soften.
Add 2 cups broth and bring just to the boil, reduce heat, then add 1/4 cup gorgonzola and walnuts. Continue to cook until cheese has incorporated and vegetables are soft. Add half & half.
Taste, season with Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, and blend until smooth. Return soup to pot and add up to 2 cups more broth to reach the thickness you prefer. Keep warm.
For garnish, cut reserved leek into 2 3” pieces and julienne each. Pour 1” oil into a small saucepan with at least, 3 1/2” sides (as oil will foam when leeks are added). When hot, add about a tablespoon of the julienned leeks and cook 30 seconds until lightlybrowned. Remove leeks with slotted spoon to paper towels to drain. Adding more oil if necessary, repeat until all leeks are “frizzled”. (I like to do this while the vegetables are sautéing).
To serve, ladle soup into warmed bowls, and garnish with frizzled leeks, shaved apple (optional, but lovely), and a bit of crumbled gorgonzola.